Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Packing for 3 months in Europe.

Let me show you something:






That's all my luggage for 3 months this summer.

In preparation for this trip I watched a few YouTube videos of people who packed "light." But they didn't help. 

If these videos didn't help, what did?

A Capsule Wardrobe.

Basically it's making a wardrobe with common colors and a few style proportions so you can make outfits out of all the pieces. I decided to go with a wardrobe palette of Black, White, Grey, Mint, Teal, Red, and Gold. Pretty much my favorite colors, with the neutrals making up the majority and then the mint coming in close second, with teal, red and gold being pops of color in accessories. I can get about 29 different outfits with just 16 pieces of clothing. That does not include my warm layers/cardigans that I brought, or my shoes. So wearing something with sneakers versus ballerinas, vs sandals can also change a look. All in all, its a pretty versatile wardrobe that I think will make it through the summer leaving me feeling fine.


When doing a wardrobe this way you can envision a couple of pieces that would really expand your options instead of just buying things and not being sure how they would work with the rest of your clothes. The only thing or two missing, is one more sundress in a lighter tone, maybe patterned with a cream/white base and a black or mint design. (black would make it more versatile for my capsule collection) and a lighter little cover up, IE cream or white cardigan.

Resources:

I was able to do this by using Coletterie's Wardrobe Architect Series and Into Mind's incredible inspiration and informative writing. I can't recommend these two sites enough if you want to build a capsule wardrobe or are going through a clothing crisis like I was.

If you want to watch a 25 minute video of me waxing poetic about what I brought, what works for me and didn't, then be my guest. In it I talk about style, gypsy style, how important it is to wear skin toned underwear, and how awesome Budapest is, how awesome all the girls here are, and big birds.
Check it out HERE.


No comments: