Monday, December 10, 2012

Rethinking Home

This morning i went through and listed all the place i have lived in my life and wether i felt comfortable in them. It's a long list and sadly, there have only been six places i have lived where i felt completely comfortable.

I defined comfortable as not having a compulsive need to leave because of any number of elements. Mostly being if i spent most of my free time trying to get away from a place and why. I then went through each place and thought about whether it was the place itself or the roommates.

In 13 places I have lived it has partially been because of my roommate. Which spawned this list:
Aspects of Roommates that have made me not want to be around:
1. Controlling
2. Hoarders
3. Uncommunicative / Passive Aggressive
4. Crazy Refrigerator
5. Breaking/hiding my things
6. CRAZY

Things my rooommates have done:
1. dumped horse shit in front of my door
2. said misogynist or sexist things to me
3. invited my present boyfriend's ex girlfriend to stay over every night
4. kicked the couch and yelled at me while sleeping on it
5. killed all 12 of my chickens
6. talked shit about me when i could hear them
7. yelled at me for using an a/c unit
8. put bleach in my gas tank
9. broken my things
10. hid my things
11. wouldn't talk to me or flat out ignored me for weeks
12. yelled at their partner almost every morning
13. hoarding in the common spaces
14. chain smoked inside of the house

The only things about the actual places that eventually made me move where:
1. Dark
2. Dirty
3. unsafe (ie. shotty electrical work)
4. not insulated
5. extreme elements making it unbearable to be there.

So my positive list would include:
1. Having dinner every night (or most nights)
2. Clean
3. Friends Already
4. Dedication to communication and NOT passive aggression.
5. Safe
6. Sweet
7. Busy or Creative people

Now that i have all these lists, now all i need to do is figure out exactly what it is i want nezt. Do i want to stay in the art lofts where i have most of these things, but i also have neighbors that you can hear REALLY well, that beat and yell at each other most mornings and evenings?

I don't know. I don't know where to go. I know i don't want to be a wage slave and always live paycheck to paycheck and always have the same amount of money saved up and yet never really be able to do anything.

I know i need community but im not sure in what context. That has been another thing i have been thinking about. How do healthy friendships and healthy home play into my well being. And how do anxiety and acquaintances play into my standard of life?